Sunday, October 9, 2011

I Like to Eat, Eat, Eat, APPLES and Bananas...


Although the weather was more like late summer...we had a fantastic fall weekend! I began my day on Friday with my daily pumpkin coffee and my lovely friend Deanna surprised me with a pumpkin muffin when I got into the office. It was a great way to kick off the weekend. After work, I did a great at home workout with Matthew. He loves the purple yoga mat we use to do pushups and he crawled over to me and was imitating me doing pushups. It was incredibly adorable! I'm doing a six week program that at the end is supposed to have me doing 100 consecutive pushups...I may need to repeat some weeks, but it's going well. I'm confident that I will reach that goal and be able to check one more thing off my 30 Before 30 List! Friday night after Matthew went to bed, Rob and I got take out Thai food, a bottle of white wine, and watched Bridesmaids on BluRay. It's not very often that we get to just sit and relax for a few hours with just each other and it was very nice! 

Saturday was one of my favorite days of the year so far. I got up with Matthew when he woke and we played, read "Ten Little Ladybugs" 3 times and then I could tell he was getting sleepy and ready for a nap. We laid on the couch and napped together, something we haven't done since he was a little little guy. I love watching him sleep and hearing his peaceful breathing.

Enjoying an Empire Apple at the orchard 
After Matthew's breakfast of bananas and Cheerios, we loaded up the car and drove almost two hours out to the Milk Pail for apple picking. It was worth it! There were lots of apples, great cider and cider donuts. We had never been that far out in the Hamptons, and it really was very beautiful just driving around. We also were able to plan it well, Matthew napped most of the way out there so he was very alert and fun during the apple picking. We washed off an empire apple and gave it to him to play with/eat in his stroller. I took a little bite to get him to the good stuff, and he LOVED it. It kept him entertained the entire time we walked around. He also loved when we took him out of his stroller and let him pick out some apples. His new trick is to point to things, so he was pointing out all the good apples for us to pick. 
Showing Daddy which apple to pick 

After the orchard, we drove to the Wolffer Esate Vineyard and Rob and I each had a glass of wine. I got the 2010 Grandioso Rose and Rob got the 2008 Cabernet Franc. They were both very good and the vineyard was beautiful. We sat outside at a picnic table, gave Matthew a snack of cookies and water in his sippy cup and enjoyed the scenery. Matthew fell asleep in the car on the way home and napped until we pulled up in front of our house. Such a wonderful afternoon from start to finish! 

We got home and had some visitors from Massachusetts - Mike and Sue! We had a fun visit and played 90s Trival Pursuit. Mike took an early lead and although we put up a fight, he won the game. There was a lot of laughing as usual and lots of random 90s trivia. We heard about wedding plans, and can't wait until August to celebrate with them!

I've spent most of the day today prepping and baking the 20 pounds of apples we have. A cherry apple pie for home, a swedish apple pie for work, apple pie pork chops in the Crock Pot for dinner, and fresh apple sauce for Matthew's lunches this week. So even though it's 80 degrees, it smells like fall in here. 

Anyone who has children, or ever watched Barney should know where the title comes from! 

1 comment:

  1. So glad y'all enjoyed apple picking! We went on an 80 deg day, too. It wasn't the same doing it in t-shirts instead of sweaters, but still a blast. Jennie loved it. Matthew will enjoy helping you bake your pies one day soon - Jennie helped make apple crisp! I am also jealous of your 50-states wine adventure - my mouth waters every time I read about it =) Only a few more months....

    Lastly - the original (and best) version of Apples and Bananas is by Raffi. Look him up - excellent kids song, and very tolerable for the parent ears!

    ReplyDelete