Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?

Today marks the 10th Anniversary of September 11, 2001. Obviously it's a very emotional day each year and ten years later, I still remember sitting in my dorm room two weeks after I had moved into UMass and calling my mom to tell her to put the TV on. I remember sitting in the lounge glued to the tv with the other G5ers and watching President Bush's address on the couch in 511 with Rob and Eppy. I am thankful that I did not know anyone directly who was in a tower or on a plane and my thoughts are always with the families who did lose a loved one.

I was very happy to have my mom and my Aunt Carol visit this weekend. Being in New York and away from family on this day always makes me feel homesick and it was so nice having them here. I missed my dad and sister and other family members, but I am thankful for all my family and friends who are home safe with their families today.

In honor of the 10th anniversary, myself, my mom and Rob ran a 5K Run to Remember yesterday. It was the first annual event at a high school about an hour east of us and the proceeds are going to create a memorial to honor those lost in the Sachem community. The event raised close to $2,400 towards the memorial in sponsorships and race registrations. It was nice to contribute to such a great cause. Mom and I also each won a raffle prize of a gift certificate to a running store on Long Island and Mom generously gave hers to me so I can buy new running shoes with the combined certificates.

The run was held on the school's cross country course, which we found out (during one of the many hills on the course) is the hardest course on Long Island. Of the three of us, Rob finished first, Mom finished second, and I brought up the rear. Mom and Rob met me towards the finish line and ran the last leg with me, which I appreciated very much. Considering that none of us routinely run on trails, we all lost some training time due to Hurricanes, and I had strep throat last week, I am proud of all of us for completing the race. Again, it felt so great to support the cause and it was fantastic to share the day with my husband, my son, my mom and my aunt.

Running a 5K is one of the items on my "30 Before 30" list and I'm very happy that the 9-11 5K Run to Remember was my first of what I hope will be at least a few this year. Next up, the Plymouth Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day.

Today's post title is from Alan Jackson's "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)." 



                     Mom, Matthew and I

Action shot from the beginning of the race

No comments:

Post a Comment