Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"International Love" : New Recipe #6 - Bacon Pierogi Bake

I made this a couple of weeks ago, but forgot to blog about it. Sometimes life gets a little busy...but even though it's late, it's worth sharing! 

Matthew won the wrestling match with Barry
I've recently been trying to lessen my stack of cooking magazines so I've been going through and pulling out recipes that I would like to try. I found this recipe for Bacon Pierogi Bake in the December 2010 Cooking Light. It was in the "Dinner Tonight" section which features quick and easy meals. This definitely fit the bill - I was able to prep while Rob fed Matthew his dinner and then while it baked, we read and sung to Matthew and then we ate after Matthew was snuggling with his buddies in bed.

I had never had a pierogi before my mother-in-law introduced them to me and boy am I happy she did! The Mrs. T brand is OK...not as good as homemade though. I had the wonderful opporutnity to attend a "pierogi party" a few years ago at Rob's aunt's home where we made hundreds of homemade pierogis - potato, onion, cheese, sauerkraut - and the best part, the homemade noodles from the leftover dough! I hope I am able to attend one again in the future, it was so much fun (and yummy!). In the meantime, I would try this dish again. It's filling enough to have with just a side salad and be full! 

Bacon Pierogi Bake
Bacon Pierogi Bake
  • 1 (16-ounce) package frozen potato and onion pierogies (such as Mrs. T's)
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 bacon slices, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup of 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
  • freshly ground black pepper
 Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange the pierogies in an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside. Add garlic to drippings in pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1/3 cup cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies. Top evenly with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with bacon, green onions, tomato, and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment